About the PMP Exam
What is the PMI?
PMI was founded in 1969 and today has more than 260,000 members in over 171 countries. PMI is the leading membership association for the project management profession. PMI is actively engaged in advocacy for the profession, setting professional standards, conducting research and providing access to a wealth of information and resources. PMI also promotes career and professional development and offers certification, networking and community involvement opportunities. "PMI", the PMI logo, "PMBOK", "PgMP", "PMP", the PMP logo, and "CAPM" are marks or registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc. in the United States and/or other nations. For more information please log on to the PMI web site: http://www.pmi.org
Do I need to join the PMI in order to become certified as a PMP?
No, you do not. If you are working in the project management field, or have done so in a previous capacity you are eligible to become a PMP. Membership in the PMI is not a prerequisite to becoming PMP certified.
Where can I do the PMP Exam in Ireland?
There is one test centre in Ireland where you can take the PMP Exam. The test centre address is:
Ground Floor, Block 2,
Grand Mill Quay, Barrow Street,
Dublin 4, Ireland.
Telephone: +353 (0)1 637 5040
Do I have to be a Project Manager to do the Training Course and Exam?
Given that this is a highly-focused course aimed towards final exam preparation; participants must already have experience of managing projects. These requirements are outlined below:
Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM:)
Applicants must have:
- 1,500 hours of work on a project team or 23 contact hours of project management education.
- Applicants must also adhere to PMI code of Ethics and Professional conduct
- Pass a three hour/ 150 question multiple choice examination that uses the PMBOK Guide as its only reference source.
Project Management Professional (PMP)
If you hold a bachelors degree:
- Minimum of three years professional project management experience
- 4,500 hours direct project management (leading & directing project tasks)
Without a bachelor’s degree:
- Minimum of five years professional project management experience
- 7,500 hours direct project management (leading & directing project tasks)
Applicants must also have a certain amount of Project Management education:
- 35 hours of specific project management education
- Adhere to PMI code of Ethics and Professional conduct
- Pass a four hour/200 question multiple choice examination that assesses your ability in project management.
What is the structure of the PMP Exam?
The PMP Exam is four hours long and consists of 200 multiple choice questions. There are 25 randomly placed “pretest questions”. These do not count towards your overall score and therefore do not affect whether you pass or fail.
What score do I need to pass the PMP Exam?
You must score 61% or higher to pass the Exam.